Thursday, July 31, 2014

Berry Greek Yogurt Bark

I’ve been painfully sensitive since the day I was born.


This article, which I stumbled upon earlier this week titled 16 Habits of Highly Sensitive People fits me to a tee. My sensitivity to noise (I wear earplugs when I write, which is a lot), my preference to exercise solo, my attention to detail, my tendency to cry easier than most, my aversion to open-office plans...all true.

It’s one of the things I love and don’t love the most about me.




I think that’s why developing recipes for this blog and having my articles published initially terrified me (refer to #15). But, as we round out year #3 of the Nourish RDs blog, as I’ve cooked more, and experimented more with what works and what doesn’t, I’ve started to find that just sometimes, things work out better than you could have ever imagined.

That was the case with this recipe, which I whipped up yesterday morning.



I hope you like it! And if you don’t – well, that’s okay, too.

Berry Greek Yogurt Bark



Ingredients:
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
The zest of 1 lemon
3 teaspoons honey
1 cup frozen raspberries
½ cup shelled pistachios
¼ cup slivered almonds

Directions:
1.      Line a small baking pan with aluminum foil.
2.      In a medium bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients. Stir until well incorporated.
3.      Add the berries, pistachios, and slivered almonds to the mixture. Fold in until well incorporated.
4.      Spread the mixture in the baking pan and place in the freezer for about 2-3 hours, or until hardened.
5.      Once hardened, remove the bark from the pan and either cut or break up into pieces.
6.      Allow to thaw for about 5 minutes before eating.


*Store remaining bark in the freezer.

** You can experiment with any ingredients you have on hand. These are some of my runner-ups:
  • frozen cherries and dark chocolate chunks
  • frozen blueberries and unsweetened flaked coconut
  • dried cranberries and pecans



Enjoy, preferably with those you love!

Although we do work with the National Raspberry Council, we were not compensated for this post.  
All our opinions are our own.  We really do just love berries (and this bark)!

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Can't wait to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good!! I've been making frozen blueberries dipped in yogurt, I'm going to have to try bark next! Nothing better than frozen yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We completely agree, Emily! (especially when we're looking for ways to avoid turning on the stove during these hot days of summer :) ) We'll have to try the blueberry, yogurt combo next -- thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. Yogurt based bark?! How clever! This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! The idea just popped into our head! And now...we're hooked!

      Delete